Wednesday, August 01, 2007

homelessnexx

My idea of homelessness came from cartoons,
a seemingly happy character with a stick
and a polka dot handkerchief tied to the end
to hold all his worldly possessions.

I first attempted to be homeless when
I was 7 years old. I packed up a comic book
and a jacket. Took some cheese and crackers
from my moms fridge and walked to the clubhouse
in my backyard. It had its own imitation kitchen
with its own stove and permanent red stickers.
I stayed there for at least 4 or 5 hours
repeatedly looking at the pictures in my comic book
trying to find things to do to bide my time.

Looking back it seemed kind of silly. How could I have
possibly survived on cheese and crackers for more than a day.
But now I’m 26 and I have a car and a nice state job with benefits.
Because my car works I’m considered to be
an upper class person without a home
and since I’m pursuing my Masters Degree I will have
plenty of things to take up my time.
When I was younger and homeless I went back home
because it was dark and my mom called me in.
Now I have a flashlight on my keychain
and I don’t think I’m gonna listen when she calls
because I want to see the sunrise
really see the sunrise before I get old..

No comments: