Monday, October 25, 2010

A Time Remembered and Imagined

I can see that vast expanse of land

to the North,

walking to your favorite spot on the lake,

bottle of Macallan in hand,

two glasses,

and a dog with no leash.


I can taste the nights out and

the trouble we might get into.

I can feel my heart

beat hard in my chest

when I think about

all that holy, wide-open,

horizon,

skyline,

and highway.


I can see your eyes

shining at me in the dark.

I can feel them on me

when I’m half asleep.

I notice the way they change,

somewhat greener at night;

but sunlight bringing out

the baby blue below

when under cloudless skies.


I can smell the coffee,

the restaurants,

all the clean air;

and I can see for miles,

all the potential


there

waiting for us

to come ‘round

and pick up

where left off.


No comments: